FIMPES will be the link between our countrymen and the Higher Education Institutions in Mexico which are characterized by their seal of quality. Within a scheme of studies validation, FIMPES will assist students to access a higher education in Mexico.

The General Law on Education foresees that educational authorities will take measures to establish conditions that allow the full right to education of every individual, greater educational equity exercise as well as the achievement of effective equality in access opportunities and permanence in educational services. Since the mandate of this Reform is to guarantee the right to education of migrant populations, the Senate of the Mexican Republic in plenary session approved on the simplification of the inclusion procedures in schools and universities, as well as the respective process of validation and equivalence of studies done abroad.
The mandatory requirement of submitting birth certificates or apostilles has been cancelled.

The revalidation of studies is the procedure by which official validation is granted to those studies done abroad, as long as they are comparable with those that are part of the national education system.
If you have studied abroad and you want your studies to have official validity in Mexico, you must apply for a revalidation of studies according to the level of education you need. If you have completed high school studies abroad, for example if you have a "High School Diploma", it is necessary to revalidate these studies to enter higher education in Mexico.
If you started higher level studies abroad (for example, in a Community College or a University) but didn’t finish, your studies can be revalidated to access a higher education institution where your studies will be taken into account, according to the chosen career or program.

In Mexico, revalidation of studies can be granted in three ways:
1. Total revalidation. It is granted to people who have accredited and completed their higher education studies abroad and who intend to validate them in the National Education System.
2. Partial revalidation. It is granted to people who have studied abroad and who intend to revalidate their partial studies, corresponding to a higher education level in order to continue studying in institutions of the National Education System.
3. Expert Opinion. It is an administrative procedure by which the education authority validates, for education purposes only, the studies people undertook abroad; except for those referred to studies in education.

Yes; the educational institution must allow the student to enter the corresponding level, grade or academic cycle as a result of internal assessment mechanisms that allow them to determine the students’ knowledge, based on the plan and study programs they intend to take and on the submitted academic documents.

Normally, the start of the course is carried out during the months of January – February and August – September; however, depending on the type of institutions, admissions may be held biannually, quarterly or annually.

When applying for admission or revalidation, interested parties may request scholarships and/ or financing, which are granted in accordance with the current institutional regulations and within the possibilities of the scholarship and financing fund existing at the time of the application.

The process of liaison between the applicant and the higher education institution will not have any cost, but the registration or tuition process will depend on the selected university.

As to the integration process, the language spoken by the population of the country is Spanish; it is important to start a cultural inclusion and begin familiarizing with reading and writing in Spanish.
Should there be a language barrier to perform the procedure to enter a university, FIMPES can give you support and act as a link to perform the necessary procedures.

About the procedure

How to consult this site

The goal of this is site is to help undocumented Mexican youth in the USA with information about academic offer and other indicators that may be of interest in order to provide them with a Higher Education that will help them build a successful professional future.

What do I need to know?

TThere are guidelines to facilitate the entry of young "Dreamers" into the Mexican national education system.

The secretarial agreement 286 establishes the guidelines for the revalidation of studies carried out abroad and the equivalence thereof. With the reform of the General Law on Education some requirements were eliminated and procedures to enter the national education system were simplified.

The criteria to revalidate subjects are based on tables of correspondence in levels or complete cycles and on the prestige of the institutions of origin.

What documents do I need to bring?

  • Certified copy of the Mexican Birth Certificate
  • C.U.R.P. (Unique Population Registry Code/ Personal ID Code Number)
  • Documentation that accredits the previous level: for higher education, submit documentation of high school, which is equivalent to secondary, high school or baccalaureate in Mexico; and for postgraduate degree, submit documentation of the community college or university.
  • If you do not have this information, you must provide grades of courses taken and/ or content of accredited subjects.
  • For more information, it is necessary to contact the person designated for this process in the institution of interest.